I'm quite bemused by the American celebrations of St. Patrick's Day. One of my colleagues congratulated me on wearing green (I just happen to be wearing a green shirt) and told me that he's Irish, even though he patently isn't. When I probed further he pointed out that his family from the 17th century was Irish. Ok...
All kinds of people have been asking me if I'm celebrating St. Patrick's Day, as if it's a national holiday (although it isn't). As far as I remember from England, St. P's is just an opportunity for people to head down the nearest pub and get smashed. Here, it seems to have taken the tone of just about every other public holiday I can think of. Is this a result of over-commercialisation or something?
I suppose that I just find it strange because I couldn't feel more distant from Ireland, yet they're making more of a deal out of it here... and in a strange PC way that seems to have lost the spirit of it. On the other hand, I guess it's more family friendly and kids can take part. Anything that means kids gain an appreciation of other countries and cultures - I'm all for.
Anyway...
I'll be making a lightning fast trip to England to wish Mum happy birthday and catch up with Viv. Diana's already there hanging out with work friends. Wish I had a job with limitless amounts of time-off to be taken...
Friday, March 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dude - When are you coming home?
We should hook up and I can show you my new Xbox 360 :-)
Post a Comment