Tuesday, February 20, 2007

slush city

Hello, I hadn't blogged in a while and thought the weather would be a good topic. Very British of me I suppose!

It has been very cold here during the last couple of weeks, with temperatures well below zero most of the time. You'd think this would be a recipe for some nice pretty dumps of snow but instead it has been all sleet and ice. There has been a couple of times when we had an inch or so of sleet falling (and consequently everyone gleefully called a work from home day last Wednesday) which made for very slushy roads and pathways. Then because of the cold temperatures it has stuck around in very solid icy (and dirty) heaps. I also discovered that my car, which is terrific fun to drive in other road conditions, slides around like a slippery slidy thing in the slush. I think I also had my first experience of aquaplaning, which was no fun but fortunately didn't result in an accident. On the plus side, being indoors has felt more cozy and appealing than ever. The drive to work, although a little more treacherous and slow, has turned more attractive for the most part too. In equal measure to the dirty ice heaps there's untouched pillows of snow that make for a very beautiful wintery scene in the morning light. Actually it's more like sleet that's iced into a solid mass from a distance you can't much see the difference.

So not quite comparable to Mum and Dad's anniversary trip to the alps, but definitely one to add to the list of my new experiences in the US.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We heard on TV that the New York suburbs had up to 9 foot of snow in places. Think what Brits would make of that!