Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Vegas, by the way

Oh yeah, while I'm blogging about blogging, I should drop a note to say we just got back from Vegas. Diana was there for CES, which is a big consumer electronics conference that she and her colleagues were attending (it's a hard life). I came over to join Diana for the weekend. I thought it would be a short hop but it was a good 4 hours on the plane to get there. I managed to sneak into CES with Diana, which was a lot of fun - tons of new gadgets, giant TVs etc.

Neither of us are gamblers, so we focused more on the food and attractions, and there's plenty! We had a couple of disappointments with the dinner, but finished with a brunch buffet at the Bellagio and it was fantastic - including my discovery of cheese blintzes, which are sort of like cheesey crepes.

Diana predictably grabbed noodles and sushi; I had cheese & herb polenta, smoked mackerel with capers, cream of haddock, muesli with fresh berries and Diana made me eat canoli's even though I was bursting by this point. Oh the buffet came with champagne too, so we decided to have bucks fizz all the way through ('mimosa' in Americanese).

On Sunday we were killing time before our flight in the Paris hotel, when Diana noticed that the people who had just sat across from us in the bar (and quite oblivious to us) were ex-colleagues from BT! It turned out they were there for the next conference in Vegas, for online marketing...

2 comments:

Brainstawm said...

The CES attracted much press speculation in the UK beforehand because of expectations about Google's and Apple's intentions, but not a lot thereafter. It seems to be the biggest show on ITC anywhere.

PS Hope this is not going to turn into a food review site.

Anonymous said...

I went to it exactly ten years ago! Wow, time flies! I remember having a great time, and also putting my $50 allowance (given by the company) on one number at the roulette table. My gambling experience lasted the whole of three minutes! I stayed at the MGM and only realised it looked like a lion when we were flying away. I pointed it out to my boss and he mentioned that we had stayed there for a week!

Anyway, I hope you are both well. I've been keeping up with your blog but haven't written anything for a while.

Kisses.