Judge others by their intentions and yourself by your results. If you want to be at peace with the world, here's what you should do. When you judge others, look at what they intended to do. When you judge yourself, look at what you've actually accomplished. This attitude is bound to keep you humble. By contrast, if you judge others by their accomplishments (which are usually shortfalls) and yourself by your intentions (which are usually lofty), you will be an angry, despised little man.
I've noticed for a long time that people will talk themselves and their plans up as being the best thing in the world, but in reality often fail to deliver (bosses, people at kung fu, dubious friends). I hope I'll be able to follow this advice that will stop me being angry and bitter, no matter these people who talk big and do little. I'm a big fan of humility... it's just not always that easy!
2 comments:
My motto is to judge both myself and others by our results. It is an easy matter to promise but more difficult to deliver, and there are not a few people who take the easy route and if later challenged say ".. well I meant to...". This has been my experience at work, in volunteering and in personal matters. No need to get bitter as long as one is wary of crucial promises and accepts that guile is part of the human condition.
I'm looking forward to putting this in front of my boss next month, when I get my annual performance review. If he'll score me for what I intended rather than what I achieved, I should be home and dry!
Post a Comment