Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Rotherhithe blog and historical stuff

You might know that I own a flat in Rotherhithe... currently rented out while I'm living in the US. I've noticed a lot of blogs about Washington DC, some of which are very particular to the street/neighbourhood we live on - so I wondered if there's any bloggers that have started talking about my old abode.

Here's a couple of local bloggers that caught my eye for U Street, here in DC:

metrocurean (food focused, but you can tell she lives round corner because from her posts)
14th & You (14th and U - geddit?)

Getting back to Rotherhithe, what I found was not in the same vein as the DC bloggers, but I found one that not only gave recent coverage (mostly photos) of the parkland, but also interesting historic stuff like this:

Brunel's tunnel under the river (used as a tube tunnel now)

He mentions that Brunel's tunnel has been re-opened to the public for the first time in decades, which sounds like a really interesting trip, although I couldn't find any info or pictures of the Rotherhithe end on the web.

I chanced a look for my street on Google streetview. Looks like they caught it on a cheery summer's day:



BTW - ironically for this post, we're imminently moving out of the city to the 'burbs - watch this space for details!

2 comments:

Andie said...

Thanks very much for the links to photos in my blog.

You mentioned that Brunel's tunnel was open to the public. It was in the past and will be re-opened in 2010 when the work on the East London Line has been finished. You can find out details from the Brunel Engine House in Rotherhithe village (conveniently near to the Mayflower public house!).

Cheers
Andie
(I'm a she, not a he, but I'm quite used to it due to the silly name)

Gordon said...

Oh God, just realised I wrote 'historical' in the title - America is ruining me!!

And now that I know Andie is in fact a she, I recommend you check our *her* blog :-)