I may have already mentioned that I listen to podcasts on the way to and from work, and what a great way it is to catch up on news (thanks Si for introducing me to the Guardian news podcast - much more entertaining than the BBC newspod). Well, recently I've enjoyed a couple of great audio books:
A Tale of Two Cities
Yup, the classic by Charles Dickens. Dad got me this for my birthday and it made many a drive home from work enjoyable. I'm actually tempted to listen to it again as it was a little difficult at times to follow all the characters. The story is a good one - very intriguing characters (and their secrets of course!) plus the backdrop of the French Revolution is fascinating.
The History Boys
This is a radio play of Alan Bennett's recently successful play. Can't say I've heard of it before but this one was very entertaining and well written, with intelligent themes and some very British characters...
People's History of America
Spurred on by the last two, I went shopping on iTunes for another audiobook. Unfortunately, although on the informative side, this one's turned out to be rather depressing. It's a catalog of government misbehaviour that would give you every reason to utterly distrust the people in power. I really knew that anyway, but the unrelenting tales about Vietnam, racism, discriminating against the poor, etc. are only palatable in small doses... next I think I'll go for something more light hearted
I was lamenting how little reading I do these days, so listening to these books has been really good. If you drive to work - or scoot even :-) - I would thoroughly recommend getting them on your CD player or iPod.
Tuesday, September 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment