Now that I'm driving to work you're probably wondering what happened to my video iPod, which gave me so much pleasure on the metro to my old job. I'm still watching the odd video show (it's mostly G4 video clips that are still worth a look for video game previews), but the good news is that the handy audio-in connection to my car's stereo means I can listen to podcasts on the way to and from work. I used to have quite a bit of spare time at my old job, which gave me a chance to read sites like Slashdot, The Register and Engadget. Now I'm keeping up on the same news through audio versions like Slashdot Review (read by someone who sounds like a cowboy) and the Engadget review. Add to that the CNN news update, NewsHour (never seen it on TV, but it's a good Rep v Dem discussion on the big issue of the week) and the BBC 'news pod'... and I'm probably more aware of current events here and at home than ever!
On a related note, one of my designers (joys of the new job - managing a team of designers) came back from London recently and was bursting with enthusiasm for the design of everyday British things like newspapers. She brought back a copy of the Guardian to show everyone, with it's new format and modern graphic design. In contrast, US papers are designed like British papers from several years ago and really lack when it comes to design flair (I won't even start on the quality of journalism...). After my last visit home (for Mum's birhday) I realised that although it's good to catch up on UK news through websites, I was really missing the overall experience you get when you pick up a British newspaper, so I'm now subscribed to The Observer digital edition, which comes as a facsimile of the print edition. So much better than time spent with the tedious Washington Post...
Sunday, May 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
The Guardian is sweeping the board in design awards for its move to the Berliner format and full colour printing. This, despite the fact that they had to rush the release in order to stem the flow of readers that were leaving when the Independent and Times went tabloid (ugh!). Their readership and the Observer's has since more than made up for the earlier losses.
I suspect the newspaper industry woudl love to interview you for a piece on the continuing relevance of newspapers in the digital age. They argue that newspapers fit in with modern lifestyles and are convenient to people, and will continue to survive even though the younger generations are deserting them in droves. You are a prime example of a digitally savvy guy who still values the printed word!
I just tried the BBC's newspod this morning as I was cycling in, and it sounded good to me. BTW the guardian newsdesk podcast is an alterative you could try, also available on iTunes.
Have you tried any of the new Ricky Gervais video podcasts?
I did get one Ricky Gervais video, can you more for free? I'm not sure I want to pay for it since I get lots of good stuff for nada... although I might get bored of my freebie shows after a while.
Here's a bit of digital savvy about the virtual newspaper: while I really like to be able to see the print layout in order get the full experience, I've seen much better implementations than the Guardian (tiny page image, link to PDF and plain text beside) where you get a full PDF copy of the magazine within a reader in the web browser - with zooming and page flipping. Much easier to use.
Post a Comment